Course Name: Maryland Handgun Wear and Carry Permit
Course Length: 16 Hours of instruction (initial application); or 8 Hours of instruction (renewal application).
Course Overview: Wear and Carry Permit training is 16 hours of instruction for an original application and 8 hours of instruction for a renewal application. Training is valid until the permit expiration. However, you must receive subsequent training within 2 years of submitting your renewal application. The approved training is offered by a Maryland State Police Qualified Handgun Instructor and will include Instructions on:
- Maryland State firearm law
- Home firearm safety
- Handgun mechanisms and operation
- Applicant must be able to demonstrate Gun safety and proficiency with a minimum score of 70% accuracy.
- Designated security personnel (security guards, private detectives, special police, and armored car drivers/guards) must shoot a practical police course of at least 50 rounds, from no further than 25 yards and score at least 70% accuracy.
- All other applicants must shoot a course of at least 25 rounds, from no further than 15 yards and score at least 70% accuracy.
Prior to submitting the application, Wear and Carry Permit Training must be successfully completed, a student must pass the Firearms Safety & Proficiency with a minimum score of 70% accuracy.
Who needs to take the training?
Every original application and renewal application submitted after October 1, 2013, unless exempt. If you are any one of the below you are exempted.
- You are an active law enforcement officer with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State or any local law enforcement agency in the State.
- You are a retired law enforcement officer with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State or any local law enforcement agency in the State.
- You are an active, retired, or honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard.
- You are a Qualified Handgun Instructor registered with the Maryland State Police.
- You have successfully completed a firearms training course given by a Qualified Handgun Instructor.
We also continue to offer One-on-One personal firearms instruction.
Who do I contact to receive the training?
Call: (855) 892-9926