Course Name: Maryland Handgun Qualification License (HQL).
Course Length: 4 to 5 hours of instruction
Course Overview: Taught by a Maryland State Police Qualified Handgun Instructor, this State mandated course for new purchasers of handguns in Maryland meets or exceeds the state of Maryland’s requirements to apply for HQL License.
This course is instructed by an MDSP Qualified Handgun Instructor, and consist of a minimum of 4 hours of instruction and include the following minimum required curricula:
- State Firearm Law. Overview of the State firearm laws, including discussion of what constitutes a regulated firearm, how to properly purchase or transfer a firearm, where allowed to carry or transport a firearm, when necessary to possess a carry permit, who is prohibited from possessing firearms, and state law relating to minors, permissible levels of force, and use of deadly force.
- Home Firearm Safety. Overview of handgun and firearm safety in the home, including discussion of access to minors, locking and storing of firearms, and use of safety devices, such as secure lock boxes.
- Handgun Mechanisms and Operation. Overview of the proper operation and safe handling of a handgun, including cleaning and maintenance, the loading and unloading of ammunition, and the differences between revolvers and semi-automatic handguns.
- Operation and Handling Demonstration. Orientation component that demonstrates the person’s safe operation and handling of a firearm, to include a “live fire” component in which the applicant safely shoots the weapon. An applicant may not be required to fire in excess of 15 yards during qualifications.
Cost: $100.00 per person
Pre-requisites: No prior experience required.
BONUS: A Certificate of completion will be issued which you can also use to also apply for VA Concealed Handgun Permit.
Note: This course does not include the HQL Application fee (Initial $50, Renewal $20); and the LiveScan Fingerprinting.
How to Apply
- The Handgun Qualification License is accessible online through MyLicense. For access, please click HERE.
- To apply for an HQL, the law requires a fingerprint based background check. More information about the fingerprinting process is available HERE. You cannot submit your application until the LiveScan electronic fingerprinting is completed, unless you already possess a Maryland Wear and Carry Permit.
- Within 3 years prior to the submission of an HQL application, an applicant must demonstrate a satisfactory completion of a Firearms Safety Training Course given by an MDSP Qualified Handgun Instructor.
Exceptions to possession of the HQL License
- A Licensed Firearms Manufacturer.
- Active law enforcement officer or a person retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States (Federal Law Enforcement), the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State.
- Active or retired member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card.
- A person purchasing, renting or receiving an antique, curio or relic as defined in federal law.
- Maryland licensed firearms dealers. (Sole Proprietors)
Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component
- Someone who completed a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary of the Department of Maryland State Police.
- Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland.
- Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
- Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
- Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
- Lawfully owns a regulated firearm, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.
We also continue to offer One-on-One personal firearms instruction.
Who do I contact to receive the training?